- Initially trained in computer science (ENSEIRB engineering school, Bordeaux), I did my phD (2002-2006) about the automatic reliable identification of gene structures in eukaryotic genomes (Exogean) under the supervision of Hugues Roest Crollius (Institut de Biology de l’Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris) and Franck Delaplace (Université d’Evry).
- I then moved (2006-2015) to the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona, Spain, to work on the international ENCyclopedia Of DNA Element (ENCODE) project as a postdoctoral researcher. Within the ENCODE transcriptomic sub-project led by Thomas Gingeras and Roderic Guigó, I coordinated the analyses of genome-wide transcriptomic data (RNA-seq, CAGE, RNA-PET) produced for the first time in a very exhaustive way (many cell lines, RNA fractions and cell compartments). I also coordinated the mouseENCODE transcriptomic analysis efforts and developped the ChimPipe program to identify all types of chimeric RNAs from RNA-seq data.
- In 2015, I moved back to France (Toulouse, Agreenskills+ fellowship) to coordinate the bioinformatics analyses of the INRA French Animal Genome ENCODE project (FR-AgENCODE, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq and HiC data from 4 species) together with Sylvain Foissac.
- I am now interested in the robust automatic identification of enhancer-gene relationships in the genomes and how it can help understanding complex human genetic diseases. In 2019 I was recruited as an INSERM permanent researcher (CRCN) to lead this project at the Digestive Health Research Institute (IRSD), Toulouse.
The robust automatic identification of regulatory relationships in the genomes, and how it can help understanding complex genetic diseases.
My project is organized in two parts:
A selection of my publications:
- Foissac S*, Djebali S*, Munyard K, Vialaneix N, Rau A, Muret K, Esquerré D, Zytnicki M, Derrien T, Bardou P, Blanc F et al. Multi-species annotation of transcriptome and chromatin structure in domesticated animals. BMC biology. 2019 Dec;17(1):1-25.
- Rodríguez-Martín B, Palumbo E, Marco-Sola S, Griebel T, Ribeca P, Alonso G, Rastrojo A, Aguado B, Guigó R, Djebali S. ChimPipe: accurate detection of fusion genes and transcription-induced chimeras from RNA-seq data. BMC genomics. 2017 Dec;18(1):7.
- Breschi A, Djebali S, Gillis J, Pervouchine DD, Dobin A, Davis CA, Gingeras TR, Guigó R. Gene-specific patterns of expression variation across organs and species. Genome biology. 2016 Dec 1;17(1):151.
- Pervouchine DD*, Djebali S*, Breschi A*, Davis CA, Barja PP, Dobin A, Tanzer A, Lagarde J, Zaleski C, See LH, Fastuca M. et al, Enhanced transcriptome maps from multiple mouse tissues reveal evolutionary constraint in gene expression. Nature communications. 2015 Jan 13;6:5903.
- Djebali S*, Davis CA*, Merkel A, Dobin A, Lassmann T, Mortazavi A, Tanzer A, Lagarde J, Lin W, Schlesinger F, Xue C et al. Landscape of transcription in human cells. Nature. 2012 Sep;489(7414):101-8.
- Djebali S*, Lagarde J*, Kapranov P*, Lacroix V*, Borel C, Mudge JM, Howald C, Foissac S, Ucla C, Chrast J, Ribeca P et al. Evidence for transcript networks composed of chimeric RNAs in human cells. PLoS One. 2012;7(1).
- Djebali S*, Kapranov P*, Foissac S*, Lagarde J*, Reymond A*, Ucla C, Wyss C, Drenkow J, Dumais E, Murray RR, Lin C et al. Efficient targeted transcript discovery via array-based normalization of RACE libraries. Nature methods. 2008 Jul;5(7):629.
- Djebali S, Delaplace F, Crollius HR. Exogean: a framework for annotating protein-coding genes in eukaryotic genomic DNA. Genome Biology. 2006 Aug 1;7(S1):S7.
- Jervis BW, Smaglo L, Djebali S. The rapid classification of brain conditions using neural networks. Conference paper -DERA/IEE Workshop Intelligent Sensor Processing, 2001